Prescribed burn in Ponte Vedra may impact traffic | News
PONTE VEDRA, Fla. -- A prescribed burn is scheduled to take place Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Guana Reserve.
The burn will take place along the west side of South Ponte Vedra Boulevard (State Road A1A).
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection said the burn is being done to reintroduce the natural fire cycle to the reserve.
Residents close to the reserve may smell and see smoke from the fire. The controlled burn will take place within 42 acres of the coastal stand of scrub between Guana Lake and South A1A. The Florida DEP said the area is between the reserve's South Beach Access Lot and Environmental Education Center.
Florida DEP also said motorists and boaters may be impacted temporarily by the burn. Reserve personnel recently mowed a strip of vegetation along the highway to reduce the radiant heat and flame heights.
Around the area scheduled to be burned fire personnel have placed fire breaks. There will also be fire suppression equipment and staff on site during the burn. Additional firefighters and police officers are in the area to assist with fire containment and traffic, the Florida DEP said.
For more information, you may contact the Guana Tolomato Matanzas Research Reserve at 904-823-4500
Upcoming Events near Ponte Vedra
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House