Students returning to classes after gas leak | News
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Students from Ponte Vedra Palm Valley Elementary are returning to classes after they were evacuated due to a gas leak Friday morning.
Sergeant Chuck Mulligan, Public Information Officer with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office said the leak happened when someone cut a propane line. Mulligan said they are unsure who cut the line.
Around 11:15 Friday morning Mulligan said the gas line had been shut off, allowing students to return to their classrooms.
The leak is close to the intersection of A1A and Mosquito Control Road.
PVPV-Rawlings Principal Kathleen Furness has already notified parents via an automated phone call saying, "I want to assure you that your children are safe."
Because of the leak, emergency officials evacuated Ponte Vedra-Palm Valley Elementary School. Students from the school were moved next door to Rawlings Elementary, Mulligan said.
No fires or injuries were reported as a result of the leak.
Police closed off the intersection of Mosquito Control Road and A1A. Mulligan said A1A North reopened around 11:15 Friday morning.