8-year-old hit by car going around school bus | News
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- An 8-year-old Ocean Palms Elementary School student was hit by a car after getting off the school bus on Tuesday afternoon.
A 17-year-old driver is facing charges after he allegedly failed to stop as children were exiting a school bus in the 100 block of North Roscoe Boulevard at 3:20 p.m., according to a report from the Florida Highway Patrol.
The teen struck the 8-year-old girl and sent her to Wolfson Children's Hospital in serious condition, according to the FHP report and Jeremy Robshaw with St. Johns County Fire Rescue. First Coast News has reached out to Wolfson for a condition update on the child.
When the young pedestrian was hit, the bus was stopped with its stop sign activated and its red lights flashing, the report detailed. The teen was cited for passing a stopped school bus, which is a civil citation and not a criminal charge. The teen will be required to appear in court for the ticket.
First Coast News investigated drivers going around school buses in February of 2012. The video included with this story is from that investigation.
Upcoming Events near Ponte Vedra
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House