$2 million in grants to benefit Florida homeless shelters | Community Spirit
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Department of Children and Families Secretary David Wilkins announced more than $2 million in grants that will benefit community homeless shelters throughout the state. Secretary Wilkins approved the award of $2.1 million in federal Emergency Shelter Grant funding that will go to 25 homeless shelters. The award money comes from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. “We are pleased to be able to help individuals and families who desperately need assistance and the shelters that provide them a place to stay until they can get back on their feet,” said Secretary Wilkins. “These funds will be going to rural communities with an emphasis on helping families move on to permanent housing.” The awards were made through a competitive bidding process. The top-rated applicants were rated on the following criteria:
- Shelter serves counties that are not receiving this federal grant directly from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- The county is designated a rural county by the federal government.
- The county lacks other emergency shelter facilities.
- The shelter has policies and shelter housing space designed to serve families with children so that family members are able to stay together.
- The shelter will create additional bed capacity to serve the homeless.
- The performance of the shelter in assisting residents to move into permanent housing.
- Shelter is an ACCESS community partner.
- The level of unmet need for shelter beds in the homeless planning area.
Upcoming Events near Ponte Vedra
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House